Taking your bike wherever you may drive can give you access to new and different roads and trails, not to mention events across the board be it multi-day mountain bike races or 100-mile charity rides. Depending upon your vehicle, putting your bike in your car isn’t always an easy option and if you have to fit more than one bike, oof, that’s going to be a challenge. You have probably seen a multitude of bike racks on top of cars, on the trunks of them, or in the bed of pick-up trucks. There are a lot of options when it comes to bike racks but they all have their pro’s and con’s as well as price points. The best bike rack is the kind that you can place on your vehicle when you need it to transport bikes and then easily remove it when it’s not needed. The SeaSucker Bike Rack does just that via industrial grade suction cups that securely attach to your vehicle to transport your bikes.
What is The SeaSucker Bike Rack?
The SeaSucker Bike Rack is a bike rack that is attached to suction cups that adhere to a vehicles roof or rear windows. It does this with multiple large 6-inch rubber suction cups that have a pumping mechanism that creates and sustains a vacuum that is immovable. A solid platform with quick releases is attached to the suction cups of which the bike is attached to. An additional suction cup and mount is then placed at the rear wheel to secure it as well.
Why It’s Different
The SeaSucker Bike Rack is radically different than other racks because it attaches to your vehicle via suction cups instead of bolts, pre-installed rails, or a form of straps. The majority of these can not be easily removed whereas the SeaSucker Bike Rack can be removed in seconds just by releasing the suction cups leaving nothing on your roof or the rear of your vehicle.
How Do You Know It Won’t Fly Off?
The SeaSucker Bike Rack won’t pull off on its own due to the strength of the vacuum created. In addition to the vacuum, there are multiple suction cups so if one did fail there are others in place to keep your bike attached to your vehicle. The rack works in any condition from dry, hot weather, to rain, to below zero temperatures.
Advantages of the SeaSucker Bike Rack
- Super small compared to other bike racks and can be easily stored inside your vehicle should you ever need to put your bike on the roof in a whim.
- With the small size, the racks can be flown on airlines in your bike bag and easily used on a rental car at your destination to transport your bike. No more trying to find a vehicle large enough to accommodate your groups bikes.
- With being able to place the racks practically anywhere on a roof, you can position the racks and bikes in a way to accommodate many more bikes than a normal bike rack can carry.
- Depending upon the type of rack, you can also place your front wheel on the roof. Not an option with many racks.
Disadvantages of the SeaSucker Bike Rack
- The standard rack is not lockable but multiple styles of cable anchors are available to lock your bike/s to your roof depending upon your vehicle and personal preference.
- If you have a roof that is not smooth such as one with ridges, the SeaSucker Bike Rack will not work since it requires a flat surface to adhere to. Fortunately it can also be secured to glass so depending upon your vehicle you could simply place the rack on a different part of the roof or rear of your vehicle.
- The racks are more expensive than some but you definitely get what you pay for.
- Over time the suction cups can lose suction but pumping them every time you stop keeps them tight.
Types of Racks
SeaSucker has a number of different styles of racks which hold anywhere from one to three bikes. Once advantage with SeaSucker racks is that you can get an one or an assortment to fit your desired number of bikes on your roof.
Also available are ski racks, board racks, kayak racks, along with many other accessories.